Saturday, April 4, 2009

Day 4 - Kelly

The last couple days have been uneventful, food-wise, with the exception of a recipe I almost completely made up on my own - Carrot Coconut Ginger Soup. I don't consider myself to be much of a cook and never create recipes, but last week I sampled some cooked soup of the same name at the co-op and wanted to see if I could make a raw version. Surprisingly it turned out great, Nathan liked the taste too, although he said he'd rather dip bread in it than eat it alone. This recipe is fast, easy, cheap, and if you don't care about raw, just heat it up in the microwave, it's faster than making a traditional soup on the stove.

CARROT COCONUT GINGER SOUP

Ingredients:

-7 carrots, cut into big chunks so the blender can handle them
-1 cup coconut milk
-1/3 cup water
-Fresh ginger, to taste. I didn't use much, two little 1/2" pieces broken off the main ginger root.
-1 large clove garlic
-1 tsp salt
-1 tsp paprika
-Drizzle of olive oil

Instructions:

Blend everything until smooth.

I haven't actually eaten any except for tasting it when I made it, I gave a bunch to Anna but haven't gotten her opinion yet. I think it'd be good with other chopped veggies mixed in for chunkiness, or over salad greens. The co-op version had cooked peppers in it.















So last night we went out with our friend Andy Dommer, who happens to be an avid juicer and maker of the most awesome halloween costume ever. Here he is as a box of Franzia wine. The wine spout actually works, you can kneel down and drink out of it, the guy is brilliant.




















We went to Jimmy's, a classic neighborhood dive in NE Mpls that doesn't have a website. I think it's hard to classify as a dive if you do have a website....anyway great place. Mixed, slightly gritty crowd, frozen pizzas, cheap drinks, pull tabs, good times.

Then we went over to Dommer's place and he made us his favorite juice using a masticating Omega juicer: Celery, beets, carrots, apple, and spinach, if I remember correctly. I was skeptical, but it really was delicious. Now how's that for after-bar food? Just kidding. Fresh juice is great, but it doesn't take the place of scrambled eggs and toast, which is what Nathan made me when we got home. =)

Happy weekend everyone!

-Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment