Friday, March 6, 2009

Day 12 - Best Recipe Yet?

Last night I made "Eggless Egg Salad" and it was so good we ate it all before getting around to taking a picture. This is not just the best of our raw recipes, but probably one of the yummiest things I've made in my life.


Here is the recipe as printed on Raw Freedom Community, but ours varied quite a bit, as explained below:


EGGLESS EGG SALAD

Ingredients:
½ cup pure water (start with less add more)
Juice from one lemon or lime
1/4 tsp garlic powder (regular garlic is too harsh for me; powder works much better if you don't want to burp or sweat that stuff all week)
1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
1 ½ cups raw cashews
1 Tbsp organic yellow mustard or spicy mustard for a kick
1 - 1 1/2 Tbsp dill (dry or if fresh more)
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Turmeric, as needed for color (approx. 1 teaspoon)
1 bunch celery diced into small bits (7-8 stalks) (pulse in the food processor for a desired crunchiness)
1 red pepper (pulse in food processor)


Instructions:

1. Place the water, lemon juice, garlic, sea salt and cashews in the high speed blender, and blend until very smooth.

2. With a spatula, take the mixture from the blender and place in a medium sized mixing bowl.

3. Stir in the mustard, apple cider vinegar, and turmeric until it reaches the color and flavor you desire.

4. Add the celery and red bell pepper.

5. Serve with spinach and shredded carrots in a sandwich.


Shelf Life: Keeps up to 5 days in the fridge if sealed in a tight container.


My alterations:

I didn't use dill, mustard, apple cider vinegar, tumeric, or red peppers. Some people had commented on the message board that the vinegar and tumeric ruined the recipe, and I didn't have the other 3 ingredients.

I mixed the cashew mixture with finely chopped celery and baby bella mushrooms. The mushrooms gave a great egg-like consistency and didn't seem to add any mushroom taste.

After mixing with the veggies, I added more garlic powder and black pepper to taste.

I literally licked the blender to get every bit of cashew sauce I could. Blended cashews + garlic powder = yum yum YUM!!

-Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment