Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Equipment

Our final piece of major equipment came in the mail today, so I'll give a rundown of the things we've purchased:

1. Vita-Mix 5200 blender



This machine was our first must-have, because the idea of chunks of food floating in my smoothies makes me gag. According to the Vita-Mix website, the machine runs at 240 miles-per-hour at top speed. A co-worker asked if it will crush ice. I'm certain it will crush my soul if I look inside while it's running. The machine will turn nuts into butter and will make ice cream out of a little almond milk and a bag of frozen strawberries. We took advantage of the option to purchase a refurbished machine, which came sparkling, with a seven year warranty.

Vita-Mix website (videos, products and more)

2. Benriner Turning Slicer



Used to turn vegetables into thin strips of "pasta", I was a little disappointed at the quality of the equipment in light of its price ($70-ish). It seems to work very well, though. We've already made strips of carrots and covered them in an almond dressing that Kelly made in the blender.

3. Excalibur Food Dehydrator



As I write, I'm nodding off to the white lullaby noise of this 9-tray skyscraper of food dehumidification. After research, we learned that Excalibur is the dehydrating standard for raw foodists because it allows low-temperature settings that prevent food from cooking. Kelly's excited to make sprouted breads - a combination of blended sprouts and other ingredients - so we'll have something to work as a bread substitute.

Our kitchen:

Kelly enjoying a (disgustingly) pre-Vita-Mix smoothie:
Spikey and Emma, our moral support:
Our first batch of ice cream:
-Nathan

4 comments:

  1. Do you guys deliver to say, Saint Paul? Dried fruit is my fave! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! You guys are so cute! I want more funny commentary from Nathan about the Vitamix crushing his soul lol! I'm excited to read more and hopefully hear of positive health changes! Love, Shira

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's so cool you guys are doing this together. I will be interested to see how you feel. I wonder if after so long you wont even miss the junk food or if you'll crave things? I'm so weak I read your first entry and my sad thought was mmmm burger king!
    Thanks again for coming u to Mad Jacks. Hope to see you both again soon.

    Molly

    ReplyDelete