Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Day 30 - Banana Bread

I made this on Thursday night for us to take on the trip, but I must've dehydrated it too long because it was more like banana crackers. Not a complete failure though, because Nathan actually liked them, even though they had too much cinnamon and not enough banana flavor. I'm giving it another try tonight….

BANANA BREAD

Ingredients:
-1 cup sprouted and dehydrated (until crispy: 3-5 hours) buckwheat groats
-3 ripe bananas, frozen overnight
-3 dates, pitted (if dates are dried, soak for 1 hour)
-1 tsp vanilla
-2 tbsp flax meal
-2 tsp cinnamon
-1/4 tsp nutmeg
-1/2 tsp cloves

Directions:

1) Let bananas defrost completely in bowl, takes about 1 hour. (Apparently freezing them and then thawing makes it taste different?)

2) Grind buckwheat in a coffee grinder or blender until it becomes a flour consistency

3) Mix buckwheat flour and rest of dry ingredients in a bowl.

4) Puree bananas, dates, and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Pour into dry ingredients and mix well.

5) Dehydrate at 110 degrees for 8 hours.




My Notes:

-The original recipe on a message board called for spelt or kamut berries, but someone said buckwheat worked better. I am suspicious that maybe I wasn't supposed to dehydrate the buckwheat before mixing it with everything else and that's why it turned out so dry….I'll have to experiment with this . . .

-I used a few more dates, because mine are dried and very small.

This recipe has great potential, it's cheap and easy to make, buckwheat is quick to sprout too.

Also, odd coincidence - on the way back from Duluth I was reading one of their free community newspapers and there was an ad from the Duluth Grill prominently announcing that they serve Banana Buckwheat Bread, "Raw & Gluten Free". Now, I've never heard of raw banana bread before like two weeks ago, and someplace called the "Duluth Grill" would be the last place I expected….ok I actually just googled this place and turns out it is an Embers restaurant. Strange. But good, I guess!

-Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment