Sunday, May 17, 2009

How I tricked my husband into liking Raw Kale

I finally got around to making some raw coleslaw. It was going to be a basic cabbage, carrots and dressing affair, but there was one lone large kale leaf in the crisper so I got experimental and threw it in. Success. Nathan and I loved this recipe and he didn't seem to mind the green specks in his beloved coleslaw (you really can't taste the kale).

Cole Slaw with Kale

-1 head cabbage
-2 large kale leaves (or more!)
-2 carrots

-1/4 cup olive oil
-3 T apple cider vinegar
-2 T honey
-1 large garlic clove (minced)
-1/4 t sea sale
-1/4 cup water

Directions: Put first three ingredients into food processor. Whisk the rest of the ingredients together for dressing. Combine.

Very easy and cheap...try it instead of the usual gunky mayonnaise version!

K

2 comments:

  1. OMG, you want to make someone like kale? Try this:
    http://nytimes.com/2007/10/24/dining/241arex.html

    This has changed people I know who never touch vegetables. Lots of lemon juice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great, thanks for the link! I don't think I've ever seen a raw kale recipe on a mainstream site….I'm surprised it wouldn't be too tough to eat without "massaging" the kale.

    ReplyDelete